Most people do not use a mouse to operate their computers. Instead, there is a touchpad that replaces the mouse to click onto web pages or to open files. However, some people still like working with a mouse instead of using a touchpad or touchscreen monitor. Read this review to find the best mouse for Surface Pro 4.
How a Wireless Mouse Works
Since the Surface Pro 4 has a touchscreen, most people use it instead of a mouse. However, for those who would rather use a mouse, they can connect a wired or wireless mouse that is compatible with the Pro 4 device.
The device uses Bluetooth to connect a wireless mouse to the laptop or one can be connected through the USB port. A wired mouse can also be used by connecting it through the USB port. However, since some early models had only one port, a Bluetooth mouse can be a more convenient way of connecting it to the laptop.
A Bluetooth and wireless mouse only differ in the way they connect to the computer. The Bluetooth mouse uses the Bluetooth antenna on the Surface Pro to make the connection, while a USB wireless mouse makes a connection through the receiver plugged into the USB port. Using a Bluetooth mouse helps keep the USB free for other devices that you may need.
If you decide to use a wired mouse, it would need to plug into a USB port in order to work with the Pro 4. To help you find the best mouse for your device, we reviewed several that are compatible with the Pro 4 and gave them each a star rating.
How We Chose Our Ratings
To assign a rating, we read about the mouse features, how they connected to the Pro 4 devices, and what previous buyers thought about them by reading their testimonials and reviews. Then, we gave each one a star rating between one and five stars, with five being the highest, to help readers find the best mouse for their needs.
Best Mouse for Surface Pro 4 - Top 10
Here are our picks for the 10 best mice available for the Surface Pro 4.
Microsoft Surface Mobile Mouse 4.6 Stars
- Light, portable, ergonomic mouse is perfect for precise navigation on the go
- No cords or dongle - connects wirelessly to your Surface via Bluetooth
- Enhanced wheel is optimized for smooth, natural scrolling
- Works on virtually any surface thanks to BlueTrack technology
- Elegant, sculpted design - sits comfortably in your hand. Available in a choice of rich colors. Up to 1 year of battery life
This Microsoft Surface mouse is specifically for the Surface Pro laptop computers. It is a wireless mouse with Bluetooth connectivity. Due to using BlueTrack, it is compatible with any Surface Pro device, including the Pro 4.
It has an ergonomic, sculpted design to fit comfortably in the hand when using it and the enhanced trackwheel provides smooth scrolling. The mouse is available in three colors: Silver, Cobalt Blue, and Burgundy. It has a switch in the back of the mouse to turn it off when it isn’t in use.
- 【Comfortable Ergonomic Design】After thousands of samples of palm data, we designed this ergonomic mouse. The mouse has a streamlined arc and thumb rest to help reduce the stress caused by prolonged use of the mouse. The side pits help reduce slippage and maximize your feeling of use!
- 【Save Battery Life】Up to 15 months battery life, you don't need to worry about changing batteries frequently! This computer optical mouse will be in sleep mode in 8 minutes of inactivity. Press any button to wake it up. Note: powered by 1*AA battery (not included).
- 【Easy to Use】No need any driver, and you can plug and play the wireless mouse directly. Plug and play! This computer mouse support 33ft wireless connections, you can avoid being bothered by the power cord and use this mouse anytime, anywhere.
- 【Multi-function Wireless Mouse】5 levels DPI: 800/1200/1600/2000/2400, easily change the cursor sensitivity depending on your activity. Two side buttons that you can use to control page forward/backward for increased productivity. Advanced technology help mouse moves around the computer screen smoothly!
- 【Wide Compatibility】Well compatible with Windows7/8/10/XP, Vista7/8 and Linux etc. Fits for desktop, laptop, PC, Macbook and other devices. A universal portable mouse designed for office, family, travel, business meetings, etc.!
This wireless mobile mouse by VicTsing connects to the Surface Pro 4, or other compatible Windows computer, via a USB port receiver. It has a range of 2.4 GHz and two polling ranges of 125 and 250 Hz. It also has five adjustable DPI:
It is a plug and plays mouse, so when you connect it to your system, it is ready to use. It is compatible with Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, and Windows 10. It is also compatible with the Linux operating system.
The mouse is contoured to fit either hand comfortably, and it is resistant to sweat, it has a rest for the ring and little finger, and the scroller has rubber on it to ensure your finger won’t slip while you’re scrolling down a webpage or document.
The company offers a 45-day money back guarantee and 12-month worry free warranty. The mouse is available in black or eight other colors, including blue, dark blue, white, purple and red.
Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse 4.3 Stars
If you prefer a wired mouse, then Microsoft has the USB compatible Basic Optical Mouse. Since it has a wire, no batteries are needed, which can save money on its operation, and its ergonomic design allows either hand to use it.
The scroll wheel operates smoothly, and it has customizable buttons to give you one-click access to many of your documents and files. Its optical sensor allows for smooth, fast, reliable operation on any surface.
The mouse is compatible with several operating systems, including Windows Vista – Windows 10, Mac OSX v10.7 – 10.10, the Android 3.2 – 5.0, and the Windows 10 phone.
Logitech B100 Corded Mouse 4.3 Stars
- FULL-SIZE COMFORT - A comfortable, ambidextrous shape feels good in either hand, so you feel more comfortable as you work - even at the end of the day
- CONVENIENT CONTROLS - Side-to-side scrolling plus zoom lets you instantly zoom in or out and scroll horizontally and vertically. Perfect for working with spreadsheets and presentations.
- ZERO SETUP REQUIRED - Flexible wired connectivity means you just plug the cable into your USB or PS/2 port - it works right out of the box.
- PRECISE CURSOR CONTROL - With 800 dpi sensitivity, you'll get precise cursor control so you can edit documents and navigate the Web more efficiently.
- BUILT BY LOGITECH - This mouse comes with the quality and design we've built into more than a billion mice, more than any other manufacturer
This Logitech corded mouse can work with your Surface Pro 4 because it plugs into a USB port. It has 800 dpi sensitivity, so it quickly navigates the internet, or you can use it to access files and documents with the click of a button.
It has an ergonomic design that allows it to both right-handed and left-handed people to use it. It allows operators to do side-to-side scrolling to zoom in and out on images and documents, plus the operator to scroll vertically or horizontally.
It is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, and 7. It can also be compatible with Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later, and Linux kernel 2.4+.
Jelly Comb Wireless Bluetooth Mouse 4.2 Stars
- BLUETOOTH 4.0 and 2.4GHz WIRELESS CONNECTION: With dual mode connection, The Jelly Comb Bluetooth / 2.4GHz wireless mouse can work on TWO DEVICES, connecting one device through Bluetooth and the other through 2.4GHz USB Receiver. You could switch the mode between two devices by just one click. With only one mouse, you can switch free to control two devices, from your desktop to your tablet, laptop to Mac, extremely convenient.
- HIGH SENSITIVITY and SILENT CLICK: Switch DPI levels among 1000, 1600 and 2400 to meet both ordinary and gaming needs. Advanced Optical Tracking Technology ensures greater sensitivity for precise tracking on a wide range of surfaces. Tested over 5 million times clicks lifespan ensures long-term and stable use. Quieter and Silenter to click, makes you concentrate on your work without disturbing others around you.
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Bluetooth mode works with Windows / Android / MAC OS system. Easy to pair and connect. Do not occupy any USB ports, no need to worry about no USB port left for the mouse. 2.4GHz mode works with laptop, desktop or any device with USB port, simply plug the USB receiver, plug and play. (Note: The USB receiver is stored in the battery compartment of the mouse)
- SLIM and ERGONOMIC DESIGN: With slim ergonomic design and smooth frosted surface, this wireless Bluetooth mouse fits comfortably and perfectly in your hands, providing an incredible user experience.
- LOW POWER CONSUMPTION: To save power and for long-term usage, the wireless mouse will automatically enter into the sleep mode after 8 minutes of inactivity, it can be waken up by clicking any button. The mouse requires one AA battery (not included in the package).
This Jelly Comb Wireless Bluetooth Mouse is the best mouse for Surface Pro 4 because it connects to the laptop via Bluetooth 4.0. However, it can also connect via a USB receiver, which allows it to work on two computers at the same time so that you can get more done. The frequency range for the USB receiver is 2.4GHz.
It can switch between 1000, 1600, and 2400 DPI to meet standard or gaming demands. It also has advanced optical technology to be able to work on any surface, and it undergoes tests of around 5 million clicks to ensure it is always stable and works correctly throughout its lifetime.
The mouse offers a slim, ergonomic design that fits either hand comfortably. To save battery power, the mouse will go into sleep mode when it has been inactive for eight minutes. The click of a button will wake it up when it is needed.
In Bluetooth mode, the mouse is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Android operating systems. Any other laptop, including the Surface Pro, desktop, or device with a USB port will also be compatible with this plug and play device. It is available in four colors:
Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Wireless Mouse 4.1 Stars
- CROSS-COMPUTER CONTROL - Game-changing capacity to navigate seamlessly on three computers.
- DUAL CONNECTIVITY - Use with up to three Windows or Mac computers and laptops via included Unifying receiver or Bluetooth Smart wireless technology
- WORKS ANYWHERE - 4000-dpi Darkfield sensor tracks flawlessly virtually anywhere, even on glass
- HYPER-FAST SCROLLING - Scroll through long documents or web pages faster and easier. Or press the wheel and shift to click-to-click mode for precise navigation
- RECHARGABLE BATTERY - Up to 70 days of power on a single charge, and one minute of charging gives you up to one hour of use; Battery: rechargeable Li-Po (500 mAh) battery.
The Logitech MX Anywhere 2 is a wireless mouse that uses Bluetooth connectivity to connect to either Windows or Mac systems. It has a 4000 DPI sensor that works on any surface, including glass, so it smoothly operates to access files and documents on your computer.
Along with operating via Bluetooth, the mouse comes with a USB receiver to provide wireless access for computers who do not have a Bluetooth antenna. The mouse comes with rechargeable battery, which lasts up to 70 days of power on a single charge. If you charge it for one minute, the mouse receives one hour of power.
The USB port is compatible with Windows 7, Windows 8, and later Windows devices. It is also compatible with Mac OS X 10.10 or later.
Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse 4.1 Stars
- Surface Precision Mouse helps you stay productive, and in the flow with flawless transitions between devices, patented magnetic scrolling for precise control, and a customizable design with three programmable buttons
- Surface Precision Mouse gives you more multi-tasking power by allowing you to pair with, and work seamlessly across, up to three computers
- Rechargeable Lithium ion battery that lasts up to 3 Months. Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz frequency range
- Windows 10 home, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 s, Windows 7 (USB mode only, cable included) and Mac OSX compatible
- USB 2.1, Bluetooth Low energy 4.0/4.1/4.2 compatible
This Microsoft device is the best mouse for Surface Pro 4 because it is specifically for Surface devices. It connects to the laptop via Bluetooth 4.0, 4.1, or 4.2. This mouse offers precise, magnetic scrolling, along with three programmable buttons on the side to make accessing documents and other files quick and easy.
It allows for more productivity as it can connect to and work across three computers at the same time. It uses a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery that lasts up to 90 days per charge, and it has a frequency range of 2.4GHz.
For older Windows systems, such as Windows 7, it connects to them via a USB port, it is compatible for USB 2.1 and includes a USB cable. However, for Windows 8, 10, 10 Pro, and 10 Home, it is Bluetooth compatible. It is also compatible with the Mac OS X operating system.
Microsoft Arc Mouse 4.0 Stars
- Ultra slim and lightweight. Battery life: Upto 6 months
- Snaps flat and slips easily into a pocket or bag
- Innovative full scroll plane lets you scroll both vertically. Wireless range: 32.8 feet (10 meters) in open area, and 16.4 feet (5 meters) in office environment
- Dimensions: 5.17 x 2.17 x 0.56 inches. Weight: 2.91 ounces (including batteries). Battery: 2 AAA alkaline batteries (included)
- Compatibility: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8. Must be Bluetooth 4.0 enabled. Wireless frequency 2.4 GHz frequency range
Microsoft’s Arc Mouse is also compatible with the Surface Pro laptop because it allows for connectivity via Bluetooth 4.0. It is a small, lightweight mouse that only measures 5.17 x 2.17 x 0.57-inches. Including the two alkaline AAA batteries, it only weighs 2.91 ounces.
Although it has an arc, the mouse snaps flat, so it is easy to carry it in your laptop bag. It has a wireless range of 10 meters or 32.8 feet in open areas. The range in an enclosed environment, like a conference room, is five meters or 16.4 feet.
The mouse has a wireless frequency range of 2.4 GHz, and it is compatible with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 as long as they connect with Bluetooth 4.0. It is available in four colors:
TeckNet 2600DPI Bluetooth Wireless Mouse 3.9 Stars
- Connects directly to Bluetooth-enabled notebooks laptop or PC without the need for a receiver.
- 12 Months Battery Life, with battery indicator light
- TruWave technology for precise, smart cursor control over many surface types. 5 DPI Selection:2600/2000/1600/1200/800
- Works with Bluetooth-enabled computers running Windows XP, VISTA, 7, 8 and 10.Don't support iPad bluetooth connection.
- Battery: 2 x AAA size battery (NOT INCLUDED). Box Contains: 1 x Wireless Bluetooth mouse, 1 x User Manual, 1 x Warranty Card
This wireless mouse from TeckNet connects to a Surface via Bluetooth, so you can keep the USB port free for other devices. To save energy, the mouse will go to sleep after it has been inactive for three seconds, then it enters the second level of IPS at 10 seconds, and finally, the third level after eight minutes of inactivity. Clicking a button on it wakes up the mouse.
It has five DPI levels:
It is easy to switch to another level, click the DPI button on the mouse. It runs on two AAA batteries, with a battery life of 24 months. An indicator light on the mouse lets you know when it is time to replace the batteries.
The mouse is for right-hand users, and it is compatible with Windows 2008, Vista, XP, 7, 8, and 10. It doesn't support iPad Bluetooth connectivity, and the side buttons won't work with the Mac OS. It is available in five colors: Black, Grey, Blue, Purple, and Red.
Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Bluetooth Mouse 3.8 Stars
The Microsoft Sculpt mouse has an ergonomic shape to make it fit comfortably in the hand while working with it. It fits best in the right hand, and it easily scrolls right, left, front, and back efficiently. It connects to a Surface Pro via the USB port as it only uses Bluetooth 3.0. It has BlueTrack technology that helps it work on any hard surface.
It has a customizable Windows touch tab to quickly access the Start Menu, OneNote, and several other Windows features. The range of the mouse is 10 meters in an open environment, like a classroom, or five meters in a closed environment like a conference room.
The mouse has a frequency range of 2.4GHz. It is compatible with Windows 7, 8, and 10, and Mac OS X v10.6 – 10.10. It needs two AA batteries in order to work and has a battery life of 10 months.
When looking for the best mouse for Surface Pro 4, keep in mind that it needs to have Bluetooth 4.0 to connect to the computer. Otherwise, it will need a USB receiver plugged into the USB port to work. However, you can also plug almost any wired mouse into the USB port, as long as it is compatible with USB 2.1.
If you decide to buy a wireless mouse to connect through the USB port, then make sure it has a frequency of 2.4GHz. Knowing which mouse to buy will save you a lot of frustration when trying to connect it to your Surface Pro 4 and access the documents you have on file or trying to get on the internet to work, play games, or watch videos.
These 10 mouse choices are good examples of what you can find to connect to your Surface Pro 4 or any other devices compatible with Windows, Mac OS, or Linux systems. Check out our article on the best Surface Pro 4 accessories if you are interested in other quality accessories.
Featured Image Source: Pexels